AFRİCA

DR Congo army kills 14 militiamen in offensive

Three soldiers injured, at least five civilians killed in clashes

Anadolu Agency

The army has killed 14 Mai-Mai Mazembe militiamen in an operation launched yesterday in Lubero district, North Kivu province.

Lieutenant Ronnie Kaso, a security officer in North Kivu, said Thursday the offensive has been carried out in the villages of Kanyambi, Kitshumbiro and Mubana, which had been occupied by the militiamen.

“Mai-Mai Mazembe militiamen recently attacked several villages and occupied them. The army attacked them yesterday and today and dislodged them,” Kaso told Anadolu Agency.

Kaso said there was fierce fighting between the two sides before the militiamen were overpowered. Three army men sustained injuries and were rushed to the hospital.

He said at least five civilians are also confirmed to have been killed during the clashes, adding that due to the fighting, hundreds of villagers have fled their homes to neighboring villages.

There are several militia groups in eastern DR Congo that often attack villages, stealing food, medicine and other property. Their attacks have intensified since the end of last year, when President Joseph Kabila refused to step down after his term in office expired.

+