Turkish presidential spokesman İbrahim Kalın shared details on Monday about the events planned to be held across Turkey on the anniversary of the July 15 failed coup attempt.
‘Erdoğan will call on the people’
Speaking to members of the press, Kalın said that president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan will call on the people of Turkey to take to the streets as they did on the day of last year’s failed coup attempt, adding that the president is expected to take part in the planned democracy watches across Turkey.
"A series of events and ceremonies will be held in order to commemorate our July 15 martyrs. There’s sadness of course. But at the same time, there’s great heroism. Events are planned with the participation of our president. There will be a parliament session. The president will take part in certain events in Ankara and Istanbul," said Kalın.
On the issue of the West remaining silent about the assassination of Justice and Developement (AK) Party officials, by Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) terrorists, in southeastern Turkey, Kalın said it displays double-standards on the part of these countries, noting that "Turkey will continue its fight against terrorism in the most effective way and will never back down."
‘Erdoğan receives Russian defense minister Shoygu’
Kalın said that president Erdoğan discussed Syria’s roadmap and the implementation of non-conflict zones on Sunday with the Russian delegation sent by president Vladimir Putin, adding that intense efforts are being made to deliver humanitarian aid to the most affected regions. Kalın also said presidents Erdoğan and Putin could hold a meeting on the margin of the upcoming G20 summit.
‘Will there be an Afrin operation?’
Asked about a possible Afrin operation, Kalın reiterated that Turkey reserves the right to protect its interests and is capable of taking all kinds of measures "without answering to anyone." He also added that Turkey will reciprocate more than accordingly to all types of threats.
‘Qatar crisis statement’
Kalın addressed the ongoing Gulf dispute, stating that Turkey enjoys normal relations with all Gulf countries. He added that president Erdoğan discussed the Gulf row on the phone with U.S. President Donald Trump, and that the results of their conversation are slowly starting to take shape, noting that the upcoming days will be critical.
"We stressed before that it’s not only about Qatar when it comes to a country’s sovereignity, but about the security of the entire region. They only aim to add fuel to the fire," Kalın said.
Kalın also said there are plans to hold a meeting with Saudi’s King Salman during the G20 summit.
Turkish air base in Qatar to remain
While the deadline for the 13-point list of demands sent by four Arab states to lift the embargo imposed on Qatar approaches, Qatar’s foreign minister stated that they would not accept the demands, including shutting down a Turkish military base in Qatar. Paying an official visit on Saturday to Rome, Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammad bin Abdul Rahman Al Thani said the list would be rejected, and stated that "This list of demands is meant to be rejected. We are not going to accept anything that infringes our sovereignty or anything that is imposed on Qatar.”No reason to fear Qatar-Turkey defense ties: EnvoyClosing Turkish base ‘out of the question’Noting that they are open for dialogue under “appropriate conditions”, Qatari foreign minister said they did not fear any possible military retaliation. He pointed out that international law “does not allow big countries to bully small countries,” and, “No one has the right to issue a sovereign country an ultimatum.” He added that the demand by the Arab states that “Qatar close the Turkish air base was out of the question.” Underscoring that Qatar would not retreat from any agreement the country has already signed, “We really appreciate our relationship with Turkey,” articulated the foreign minister. The Qatari minister also stated that Al Jazeera would not be closed.Qatari envoy in Kuwait to give answer to Arab states' demandsPutin’s callSome possible steps the relevant Arab states may take after Qatar rejects the demands list have been discussed. Amongst possible scenarios mentioned in international press is that the blockade imposed to Qatar might be permanent in the event that they do not meet the demands. A journalist from the USA reported the United States carried out silent contacts aiming to move its aerial operations from Qatar to the United Arab Emirates. Qatar hosts the Al Udeid Air Base, which is USA’s largest air base in the Middle East.Moreover, Russian President Vladimir Putin called Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, and addressed the bilateral relations aimed at enhancing common interests between the two close states, as well as the recent developments on the crisis between Qatar and some Arab states. In the phone call, Putin and Al Thani asserted the crisis must be solved through diplomacy and direct dialogue between all parties. Crisis to be sorted out sooner or laterSaudi Arabia’s envoy to Ankara, Walid Bin Abdul Karim El Khereiji claimed the disagreement between Qatar and his country had never been military but political, and Qatar’s sovereignty had not at all been targeted. Asserting that the Gulf states cut ties with Qatar and that this was not a blockade, Khereiji went on to say, “Normally a blockade is subject to United Nations resolutions, yet severing relations is a sovereign right of each country to protect its national security. Look, there have been over hundreds of flights from Turkey to Doha in order to transport Turkish products to Qatar.” Claiming that the Gulf states could solve the dispute with Qatar between themselves without the help of foreign countries, “We care about Qatar and its people, we belong to each other. Sooner or later, this crisis will be sorted out and our relations will get back on track,” Khereiji added.
No reason to fear Qatar-Turkey defense ties: Envoy
Qatar’s ambassador to Turkey has dismissed fears about defense relations between Doha and Ankara amid a Gulf crisis.In an exclusive interview with Anadolu Agency, Salem bin Mubarak said Qatar can survive a blockade imposed by Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Bahrain.“There is no reason to be afraid of our defense relations with Turkey,” the envoy said.“No one has the right to meddle in or comment on our relations,” he stressed. “This is a sovereign issue and there is no need to make a fuss about it.”Qatari envoy in Kuwait to give answer to Arab states' demandsQatar has been reeling under a blockade imposed last month by the four countries and Yemen, who accuse Doha of interfering in their domestic affairs and supporting terror groups.The Qatari government has strongly rejected the accusations and stressed the blockade is a violation of international law.Turkey has vowed to stand by Qatar and called on Saudi Arabia to end all sanctions.Last month, Turkey’s parliament ratified two deals on deploying troops to Qatar and training its army.Arab foreign ministers to discuss Qatar in Cairo on WednesdayTurkish baseThe Qatari diplomat dismissed calls by the four countries for Doha to close the Turkish base in Qatar as “illogical”.“Though the defense expenses of some countries equal that of a nuclear power, they are incapable of dealing with some issues that threaten their security alone and seek the help of allies,” he said.“They [blockade countries], however, want us to cut our defense ties with Turkey, which is not logical,” he said.The envoy said Qatar has defense cooperation with some countries in the region and around the world.“We don’t see any reason that prevents us from having defense cooperation with Turkey,” he said. “On the contrary, circumstances in the region dictate us to cooperate intensively and effectively in this regard.”The ambassador went on to describe his country’s defense cooperation with Turkey as “very good”.“The two countries are looking to bolstering this cooperation,” he said.Bin Mubarak said cooperation between Qatar and other friendly states “aim to develop Qatar’s capabilities” with a view to “maintaining national security and fighting terrorism”.“This all serve security and stability of our country and the region,” he said.Trump discusses concern over Qatar dispute with Gulf, Arab states in callsImposing guardianshipThe Qatari envoy described the U.S. position at the start of the Gulf crisis as “confused”.“This position, however, is becoming balanced,” he said. “Washington now rejects the measures taken by the blockade states and wants them to present realistic and reasonable demands.”The diplomat went on to describe Qatari-U.S. relations as “strong and able to stand in the face of challenges”.Qatar is home to the sprawling al-Udeid Air Base, which houses U.S. Central Command, and the U.S. Air Forces Central Command. Roughly 10,000 U.S. troops are stationed at the al-Udeid Air Base.The Qatari envoy believes that the blockade aims to impose guardianship on Qatar.“We, like other countries, are confused about the real reason that prompted the blockade states to create this crisis,” he said.“There are many claims in the media, but all are contradictory,” he said.Bin Mubarak said that Qatar can survive the blockade imposed by the four Arab countries.The blockade “has taught the Qataris the importance of diversifying our trade, economic and political relations,” he said.He opined that the crisis has tarnished the image of the blockade states in the first place.“It has also derailed efforts to fight terrorism and extremism in the region and is dragging us into internal battles that only serve the enemies,” he said.The envoy said Qatar “has won the moral and diplomatic battle” against the blockade countries.“Now, they are looking for new tools for escalations and threats in violation of international law.”Doha to reject Arab states' list of demands: Qatari FM
Erdoğan inaugurates Turkey's Kınalıada corvette
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pledged his support of local companies and hailed Turkey’s developments in the defense industry on Monday. “The backbone of our plans must be based on national opportunities. If necessary, we must make sacrifices in the way of time and costs. If we had not done this for the past 15 years, we would not be able to carry out cross-border operations against terrorist organizations due to secret embargoes applied to our country,” Erdoğan said at the inauguration ceremony of the Turkish-made Kınalıada corvette. “We have to keep an eye on our strategies and support companies operating in the field of the defense industry,” he continued. “Turkey aims to end its dependency on the foreign defense industry by 2023. To achieve this, we should make more progress. We will continue to increase the number of projects that are critical to our country's security,” Erdoğan said. “We have 14 projects that we have completed. In the approaching years, we have 10 projects planned. All these developments are an expression of our commitment to the solutions we have developed against threats in the field of defense,” he added. President Erdoğan also said Turkey was committed to building its own aircraft carrier. Turkey will respond to any kind of terrorist threat: presidential spoxErdoğan: Shame on those who blame the victims of the coup instead of the putschists
Der Spiegel pushes for another coup in Turkey
A six-page report published in Der Spiegel, a German newspaper, backed the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETÖ) and falsely accused the Turkish government of deliberately not preventing the coup.The article, published by Turkish journalist Eren Çaylan and Turkey correspondent Maximilian Popp on Saturday, did not acknowledge the role of US-based FETÖ ringleader Fetullah Gülen.Gülen orchestrated Turkey's July 15 coup attempt and is the mastermind behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police and judiciary."According to Gülen, the coup attempt was a ploy organized by Erdoğan, to expand his rule. Turkey's western partners have not yet decided which statement is correct. [Turkish President] Erdoğan used this coup attempt as a means of intimidation to daunt those who do not support him," said the report, echoing the words of FETÖ’s ringleader Gülen.The article was in favor of the violent coup attempt that left 249 people martyred and over 2,100 wounded. Tanks rolled out on to the streets of Istanbul and Ankara on the night of the coup bid, and indiscriminately shot civilians. The article also claimed that a second coup attempt in Turkey was possible. Germany was found to be a haven for FETÖ, which uses the country as a functioning center.