At least 25 suspects were arrested in counterterrorism operations across Turkey for their alleged links to FETÖ, the terrorist group behind 2016 defeated coup attempt in Turkey, police sources said Monday.
Twenty-two soldiers on active service, including commissioned and non-commission military officers, were detained in multiple cities including Istanbul, Ankara, and Kahramanmaras as part of an investigation carried out by the chief public prosecutor in the eastern Agri province, the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said. Separately, an arrest warrant was issued for three academics in southeastern Gaziantep province as part of a probe. Turkey issues arrest warrants for over 30 FETÖ suspects
The Public Prosecutor’s Office in northern Tokat province issued arrest warrants for 34 suspects, including 19 soldiers Monday for alleged links with the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETÖ), according to a judicial source.The suspects include four FETÖ imams for the military, the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media, said.The provincial gendarmerie command units launched an operation across 17 provinces to nab the suspects.In a separate ruling, the same office issued arrest warrants for another 11 people, including judges, prosecutors and lawyers, as part of an ongoing investigation into "the working houses of FETO-linked judges and prosecutors".FETO and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the defeated coup attempt on July 15, 2016, which left 250 martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.Ankara also accuses FETO of being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police, judiciary and schools.
US judge evades question on his affiliation with FETÖ
The judge in the Turkish banker Hakan Atilla trial in New York dodged a direct question about whether or not he was ever hosted by the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETÖ) in Turkey 2014. In an email exchange, an Anadolu Agency reporter on Friday, asked Judge Richard Berman about his possible affiliation with FETÖ and his presence at a symposium in Istanbul which was sponsored by a FETÖ linked Yuksel Karkin Kucuk (YKK) law firm in 2014. Berman was also asked about documents which confirmed that his trip to Turkey was paid for by FETÖ, including all of his transportation and hotel fees. His press office however, responded to all questions by sending Berman's previous statement from 2016.Confirming that the FETÖ linked law firm "helped to organize the symposium and paid the participants' travel and lodging expenses", the statement said when the court accepted an invitation to participate in the Symposium, YKK was "one of the preeminent (and largest) law firms" in Istanbul.At the symposium, Berman targeted the ruling Justice and Development (AK) Party and claimed that Turkey is governed by a "one-man rule," suggesting that the current government must be changed -- ideas consistently propagated by FETÖ supporters.He had also criticized the dismissal of FETÖ-linked judges, prosecutors and police officers over the unlawful wiretapping charges.Atilla was arrested in the U.S. earlier this year for allegedly violating American sanctions against Iran and found guilty of five charges related to conspiracy and bank fraud but was acquitted of money laundering.The government’s case hinged on the testimony of Reza Zarrab who was arrested in the U.S. in 2016 on similar charges.The Turkish businessman pleaded guilty on the charges just prior to the start of the trial and testified for the prosecutors against Atilla.The case has driven a further wedge between Washington and Ankara that already had strained relations.The Turkish government has criticized the trial because of Judge Berman's proven links with FETÖ as well as the weak and illegally-obtained evidence, which were propelled by the prosecution regarding the alleged violation of the Iran sanctions.Berman claimed his visit would not overshadow his neutrality in the case. However, he allowed well-known FETÖ fugitives as witnesses to determine the fate of Atilla. Prosecutors questioned Atilla based on a report prepared by a fugitive member of FETÖ, Osman Zeki Canitez, in an attempt to strengthen the government’s case. Berman acknowledged the report even though the disgraced former police official admitted in court he stole documents related to an investigation and the 2013 roundup of scores of FETÖ suspects in Turkey.FETÖ and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen are accused of orchestrating the July 15, 2016, failed coup that was beat back in Turkey but left 250 martyrs and nearly 2,200 injured.The defense also appealed for a mistrial based on testimony from another FETÖ fugitive, Huseyin Korkmaz, who they said “submitted stolen evidence” and “testified wrongly”.The disgraced former police official admitted in court he had stolen documents related to an investigation and roundup of scores of FETÖ suspects in Turkey in late 2013.
According to the Turkish government, the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETÖ) and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the defeated coup on July 15, 2016, which left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.
Ankara also accuses FETÖ of being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary. Turkish PM links US verdict on banker to FETÖ
Turkey's Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım on Saturday criticized the U.S. verdict on Turkish banker Hakan Atilla, saying pro-FETÖ judges and prosecutors in the U.S. are trying to target Turkey.Speaking at a provincial congress of the ruling Justice and Development (AK) Party in the central province of Nevsehir, Yildirim said those who try to give Turkey legal lessons have violated the law in this case.He said the U.S. judges convicted Atilla in a case based on fabricated evidence provided by FETO."And then they call it an independent judiciary," Yildirim added.On Wednesday, a jury in New York found Atilla guilty on five counts related to conspiracy and bank fraud but acquitted him of a money laundering charge.The Turkish Foreign Ministry called the decision an "unjust and unfortunate development."The verdict by a panel of six men and six women against Atilla, the 47-year-old former deputy chief executive officer of Turkey’s Halkbank, came after more than three weeks of testimonies and four days of deliberation.The counts on which Atilla was declared guilty included violation of U.S. sanctions against Iran, crimes to deceive the U.S. and defrauding U.S. banks.FETO and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the defeated coup attempt on July 15, 2016 which left 250 martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.
Turkish police arrest dozens of FETÖ suspects
Turkish police on Saturday detained dozens of suspects over alleged links to the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETÖ), security sources said.In an Istanbul-based operation which was conducted across nine provinces, police arrested at least 17 people over suspected links with the terror group, said the sources who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media.FETÖ and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gülen orchestrated the defeated coup attempt of July 15, 2016, which left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.The arrests came after the Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office issued arrest warrants for 36 FETÖ suspects, including academics, journalists, and former police officers. The suspects were wanted by the police for using ByLock -- an encrypted mobile phone application used by FETÖ members to communicate during and after the defeated July 16, 2016 coup, the source added.In another operation in Istanbul, Gülen's fugitive nephew Tavus Bin Keysan Gülen was also apprehended on charges of having links to the terror group. Nabbed during a raid on a house in Umraniye district in the Asian part of the city, Gülen's nephew would be transferred to northwestern province of Sakarya, the security sources said.In central province of Konya, police apprehended two more suspects following Thursday's arrest warrants for 70 FETÖ suspects, including 58 former and active soldiers, the sources said. The source said 64 suspects so far had been arrested during simultaneous operations across 27 provinces. In central Yozgat province, security forces also arrested two more people including a military officer on terror charges, the local governor's office said in a statement. Both of the suspects were remanded in custody, the statement said.FETÖ is behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police and judiciary.