7 minute massacre at Istanbul nightclub

7 minute massacre at Istanbul nightclub

The grueling details behind the New Year's Eve terror attack in Reina, Istanbul, are revealed as the search for the unidentified gunman continues

News Service Yeni Şafak
The search for the gunman behind Istanbul's New Year's Eve terror attack at the Reina nightclub in Ortaköy is still under way. The attack killed 39 people and wounded 65, four of whom are in critical condition.

How the gunman managed to escape is still under investigation, as he came to the club alone. Police have barricaded the Kuruçeşme neighborhood where the attack occurred.

First victims shot at the door

The unidentified gunman arrived at Reina in a taxi and was traveling with a backpack carrying a rifle and bullets. Security footage outside the club shows the gunman in a black coat.

Upon arriving, he opened fire at the police officer and security guard at the door and entered.

The attack took place at approximately 01:20 a.m.

Gunman carried ammunition in a backpack

The gunman was carrying a backpack filled with ammunition, and Turkish security forces have said that he most likely had previous military training.

The gunman opened fire inside Reina in an attack that lasted seven minutes. As one clip was emptied, the gunman took out another one from his backpack and continued firing. Hundred of bullets were fired.

After the attack, the gunman took off his coat and changed his clothes.

Gunman hid in the kitchen for 13 minutes

The gunman went into the kitchen and hid for 13 minutes after changing his clothes.

Victims scrambled to escape Reina, and some even jumped into the Bosphorus in panic.

Upon hearing the sirens of the approaching police and ambulance, the gunman escaped the venue by blending into the crowd.

Attacker must have had help from someone on the inside

Security forces have stated that it is believed the gunman had came to Reina before on a stake-out, as he was very familiar with the layout of the club.

Suspicions have been raised as to why the gunman was able to carry out the attack without any intervention. Police have said that they are investigating whether the gunman received help from someone on the inside.

Reina's security team did not make any attempts to stop the gunman.

There are allegations that if the gunman did not escape via the Bosphorus, then he must have escaped using one of three exits that can only be accessed by the security team.

540 guests were at Reina

At the time of the attack, there were 540 guests at Reina. The gunman is believed to have visited Reina in the week prior to the attack, thus security footage from the around the area is being analyzed.

Possible escape routes

Police forces blocked off the district where the attack occurred, both on land and sea, in an attempt to find the unidentified gunman. Vehicles on the road where Reina is located were searched one by one, as were houses in the area.

Allegations claiming the gunman escaped via the Bosphorus have emerged. Police searched the waters of the Bosphorus, but were not able to find the gunman.

Security footage from Reina and nearby cameras are being analyzed.

Aerial view of Reina Nightclub
Yeni Şafak

Aerial view of Reina Nightclub

An attacker opened fire on party-goers at the Reina nightclub in Istanbul's Ortaköy district. At least 39 people, including a police officer, died in the assault. Sixty-nine people were also injured in the incident. Daesh terrorist organization has claimed responsibility for the Istanbul attack

Names of victims released

Initial reports indicate that of the 39 people who lost their lives in the attack, 12 were Turkish, seven were Saudi Arabian, three were Iraqi, three were Jordanian, one was Indian, three were Lebanese, two were Tunisian, two were Moroccan and the remaining victims were from Canada, Syria, Quwait, Russia and Israel.

As a result of the attack, 38 victims were shot dead and one victim was trampled to death as guests tried to escape.

Lebanese delegation arrives in Istanbul following New Year's Eve terror attack
Yeni Şafak

Lebanese delegation arrives in Istanbul following New Year's Eve terror attack

Lebanese Foreign Ministry official Mira Dagher, who made a brief statement on behalf of the delegation at Istanbul's airport exit, said, "There are three people that are dead. We are going to see the situation and assess it. We are the representatives of Lebanon."


Cookies are used limited to the purposes in th e Personal Data Protection Law No.6698 and in accordance with the legislation. For detailed information, you can review our cookie policy.