Chemical attacks on Syrian opposition-held Idlib were “inhuman” and “unacceptable”, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan told his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin on Tuesday.
According to the Turkish presidency, Erdoğan held a telephone conversation with the Russian leader to discuss Tuesday’s incident. More than 100 civilians were killed and 500 others, mostly children, have been affected by the chlorine gas attack carried out by regime warplanes in Khan Shaykun town in Idlib, the Syrian interim government's health minister, Firas Jundi, said earlier. “These kind of inhuman attacks are unacceptable,” Erdogan told Putin. Both leaders stressed the need to strengthen cooperation in the fight against terrorism They also agreed further efforts should be taken to maintain the fragile Syrian ceasefire. Fighting parties in Syria -- excluding Daesh and al-Qaeda related groups -- agreed to a cease-fire that came into effect Dec. 30 last year. During the Tuesday’s conversation, Erdogan also stated that these kind of attacks have a risk of destroying progress made at previous peace talks in Kazakhstan. Last year, a UN-appointed investigation panel found chemical weapons had been used by regime forces and opposition fighters in 2014 and 2015. However, no actionable steps were taken. Chlorine gas in warfare is outlawed by international treaties. High-level exposure can cause suffocation, with children and seniors being particularly vulnerable. Since civil war in Syria erupted in March 2011, more than 250,000 people have been killed, according to the UN. The Syrian Center for Policy Research puts the death toll at more than 470,000. Regime chlorine gas attack kills 100 in Syria’s Idlib
At least 100 people were killed on Tuesday when regime warplanes carried out a chlorine gas attack in Syria’s northwestern Idlib province, according to Syrian opposition Health Minister Firas Jundi.“The raids have left over 100 people dead and 500 civilians, mostly children, injured,” Jundi told a press conference in Idlib.Jundi said regime warplanes struck Khan Shaykun town in southern Idlib with missiles containing “poisonous gas”.“Many children were among the victims,” he said, expecting the death toll to rise. A local civil defense official earlier told Anadolu Agency a regime aircraft carried out a chlorine gas attack on the town early Tuesday.Tuesday’s attack came one day after a regime aircraft carried out a similar chlorine gas attack on Al-Habit town in Idlib, affecting dozens.The gas attack was swiftly condemned by U.K. Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson."Horrific reports of chemical weapons attack in Idlib, Syria. Incident must be investigated and perpetrators held to account,” he said on Twitter.Syrian regime forces are believed to have launched gas attacks on opposition-held areas in recent weeks.On March 30, 35 civilians were affected by a chlorine gas attack carried out by regime forces in Al-Qaboun near Damascus.Last year, a UN-appointed investigation panel found that chemical weapons were used by regime forces and opposition fighters in 2014 and 2015. However, no actionable steps were taken.Chlorine gas is one of several elements and compounds used in devastating chemical attacks, outlawed by international treaties. High level of exposure to the gas can cause suffocation as the chemical injuries in the pulmonary airways result in severe fluid buildup in the lungs, with children and seniors particularly vulnerable.Since March 2011, the Syrian opposition has demanded an end to more than 44 years of Assad family’s rule and the establishment of a democratic state.The Syrian regime responded to the protests with military force, pushing the country into a vicious downward spiral of violence, bloody battles and a civil war that is still ongoing between the regime and opposition forces.Since then, more than a quarter of a million people have been killed and more than 10 million displaced across the war-battered country, according to the UN.The Syrian Center for Policy Research, however, puts the death toll from the six-year conflict at more than 470,000 people.Galeri: Chemical attack by Syrian regime kills at least 70 victimsSyrian regime attacks rescue team after chemical attackTurkey sends ambulances to Syria's IdlibErdoğan, Putin discuss suspected gas attack on Syria's Idlib
Syrian regime continues to use chlorine gas in Idlib
The Syrian regime carried out chlorine gas attacks in Syria's northern Idlib province, affecting some 20 civilians of the area, a spokesman for the FSA-affiliated Jaysh al-Nasr (“Army of Victory”), Mohamed Rashid said on Monday."Assad regime conducted a chlorine attack on Al Habit town, in the evening hours. We are now at the scene. Approximately 20 civilians were affected by this attack," Rashid told an Anadolu Agency reporter.Rashid said that the Assad regime conducted 26 air strikes with chlorine barrel bombs, in Al Habit town of Idlib, adding that the victims affected by the chlorine were taken to the hospitals in the region. Regime helicopters targeted the town of Al-Latamna in northern Hama with barrel bombs containing chlorine gas, five days ago in which two people were killed and at least 30 people affected by the gas.Last year, a UN-appointed investigation panel found that chemical weapons were used by regime forces and opposition fighters in 2014 and 2015. However, no actionable steps were taken.Chlorine gas is one of several elements and compounds used in devastating chemical attacks, outlawed by international treaties. High level of exposure to the gas can cause suffocation as the chemical injuries in the pulmonary airways result in severe fluid buildup in the lungs, with children and seniors particularly vulnerable.The war for Aleppo was all but over in late December of last year when Russia and Turkey helped broker a cease-fire deal that included the evacuation of thousands of civilians and opposition fighters from the city.The six-year Syrian war has caused hundreds of thousands of deaths and displaced millions of people, leaving the country in ruins.
St Petersburg's Sennaya Ploshchad metro station reopens after closure
St Petersburg's Sennaya Ploshchad metro station has reopened after being shut for several hours following an anonymous bomb warning, Russian agency RIA Novosti said on Tuesday.The station was closed by metro authorities after an anonymous phone call earlier in the day. Monday's blast, which killed 14 people, happened as a metro train traveled between the "Sennaya Ploshchad" and "Tekhnologichesky Institut" stations.
Russian investigators say have found metro bomb suspect's body parts
Russia's state investigative committee said on Tuesday that the deadly St Petersburg metro blast was caused by a bomb that had possibly been detonated by a man whose body parts were found in one of the train carriages."It has been ascertained that an explosive device could have been detonated by a man, fragments of whose body were found in the third carriage of the train," the committee, which has sweeping powers, said in a statement."The man has been identified but his identity will not be disclosed for now in the interests of the investigation," the statement added.Russia's Lavrov: 'cynical' to call St Petersburg blast revenge for SyriaDeath toll from St Petersburg metro blast rises to 14 : RiaLikely suspect in St Petersburg blast is Kyrgyz-born Russian citizen
Russia's Lavrov: 'cynical' to call St Petersburg blast revenge for Syria
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Tuesday it would be "cynical and mean" to call a deadly blast in St Petersburg an act of revenge for Russia's actions in Syria, Russian state news agency RIA reported.Russia authorities said the blast that killed at least 14 people in St Petersburg was carried out by a suspected suicide bomber with ties to what they called 'radical Islamists'. St Petersburg shuts metro station after anonymous bomb warning: RIADeath toll from St Petersburg metro blast rises to 14 : RiaLikely suspect in St Petersburg blast is Kyrgyz-born Russian citizen
Death toll from St Petersburg metro blast rises to 14 : Ria
The death toll from the bomb blast in St Petersburg has risen to 14, Russian agency Ria Novosti quoted the country's health minister Veronika Skvortsova as saying on Tuesday.The blast which happened on a metro train has also injured almost 50 people. The death toll had stood at 11 people on Monday.Likely suspect in St Petersburg blast is Kyrgyz-born Russian citizenTrump speaks with Putin after metro blast in Russia