Turkey’s Foreign Minister said early Friday that Washington should reconsider its alliances in Syria as the Assad regime prepares to launch a bloody offensive on northwestern Idlib province.
In a letter to The New York Times titled 'A Looming Disaster in Syria', Mevlut Cavuşoğlu warned that the YPG terrorist group has struck an alliance with Bashar al-Assad and is sending troops to help him recapture Idlib from the rebels.
“The alliance has grown deeper since senior leaders of the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces, spearheaded by the YPG, held formal talks with the Syrian regime to carve out a place for themselves in the new Syria,” he said.
"Having YPG forces operating from Syria, just miles from the border of Turkey, is untenable. It’s time for Washington to assess who its real allies in the region are."
Located near the Turkish border, Idlib province is home to more than 3 million Syrians, many of whom fled from other cities following attacks by regime forces.
The Syrian regime recently announced plans to launch a major military offensive in Idlib, which has long been controlled by various armed opposition groups.
As a result, Turkey has been reinforcing its military presence on the border with Syria.
The UN has warned that such an offensive would lead to the "worst humanitarian catastrophe in the 21st century".
Cavusoglu also emphasized in the letter that the YPG is the Syrian affiliate of the PKK, which has led a violent terror campaign in Turkey for more than 30 years and that Turkey, the U.S. and the EU have listed the PKK as a terrorist organization.
In its more than 30-year terror campaign against Turkey, the PKK has been responsible for the deaths of some 40,000 people.
US appoints ‘PKK commander’ to spearhead attacks against Syrian opposition in Idlib
As the Washington administration warns the Assad regime to stop its vicious bombardments in the last opposition-held stronghold of Syria’s Idlib, it simultaneously dispatches Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) terrorists to the region, further escalating tensions which could lead to a grave massacre.Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat Daesh Brett McGurk has appointed so-called Manbij Military Council (MMC) spokesman Servan Darwish as a quasi-commander of PKK terrorists to conduct attacks against the Syrian opposition in Idlib.The Syrian regime has recently announced plans to launch a major military offensive in Idlib, which has long been controlled by various armed opposition groups, and is under heavy bombardment by Russia and Assad. The last such provocation triggered joint airstrikes by the U.S., UK and France against the Syrian regime.Servan Darwish is from the terror organization’s Qandil cadre, which is considered as the main base of the PKK, and a prominent figure for the U.S, notably for McGurk.Darwish recently arrived in Syria’s Aleppo with 250 PKK terrorists following a meeting with McGurk in Hasakah. Top White House envoys and commanders such as U.S. Central Command General Joseph Votel, American Special Operations Commander in Syria and Iraq Jamie Jarrard, and Commander of the U.S.-led Coalition Task Force Lieutenant-General Paul Funk previously awarded Darwish with a distinguished service medal during their visits to Syria’s Manbij.UN war crimes team documents further Syrian regime use of banned chlorineUS rips Russia, Iran, Assad regime amid Idlib offensive Distributing lines PKK terrorists are being deployed to the frontlines within the context of a meeting conducted in August between Ilham Ahmad, one of the PKK’s so-called political representatives and Bashar al-Assad’s Special Security Adviser Ali Mamlouk at the Four Seasons Hotel in Damascus.Following the U.S.-backed PKK and Assad regime negotiations, 6000 terrorists have been deployed to two separated points in the Idlib region.The PKK is listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the European Union and the United States. The PKK has been conducting armed violence in the southeastern part of Turkey since 1984. More than 40,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in the three-decade long conflict.Turkey neutralizes 760 PKK terrorists in 3 monthsYPG/PKK terrorists impose curfew in Syria’s RaqqahTurkey arrests PKK/KCK suspect near Izmir airport
German, Russian foreign ministers to discuss Syria
German Foreign Minister said he will meet his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov in Berlin on Sept. 14 to discuss ways to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe in Syria’s Idlib province.Addressing lawmakers at the parliament on Wednesday, Heiko Maas said Germany’s coalition government was making every effort to contribute a political solution.“On Friday, the Russian foreign minister will be here. I will tell him exactly the following: We are expecting from Russia to assume its responsibility to prevent a humanitarian disaster in Syria’s Idlib,” he said.Maas was referring to the threats by the regime to begin a large-scale military offensive on the last opposition stronghold.Maas underlined that Germany would continue its humanitarian assistance for Syrians, but ruled out support to a reconstruction program before a political change in Damascus.-Efforts for ceasefireChancellor Angela Merkel’s spokesman stressed on Wednesday that a ceasefire in Syria could only be possible with Russia’s active support.“Russia and Iran, as conflict parties, bear special responsibility,” Steffen Seibert told a press conference in Berlin.Seibert said, “Russia has an influence on the Syrian regime, which is vital to deter a military escalation and to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe.Prospects for a ceasefire would either stand or fall on the stance of Russia,” he added.Located near the Turkish border, Idlib province is home to more than 3 million Syrians, many of whom fled from other cities following attacks by regime forces.The Syrian regime has recently announced plans to launch a major military offensive to the area, long controlled by various armed opposition groups.The UN warned that such an offensive would lead to the "worst humanitarian catastrophe in the 21st century".
Turkish FM meets Chinese envoy, Iraqi Turkmen leader
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu on Thursday met with China's special representative and the leader of the Iraqi Turkmen Front (ITF).During his separate meetings with Le Yucheng and Arshad Salihi, Cavusoglu discussed the latest developments, according to his twitter account.“Evaluated current issues with Le Yucheng, special representative of the Chinese government. We are intensifying Turkey-China contacts at all levels,” said Çavuşoğlu.“We discussed current issues in Iraq and the condition of our Turkmen brethren with Iraqi Turkmen Front President Arshad Salihi and Vice-President Hasan Turan” he added in a later tweet.Video: Turkish FM meets Arshad Salihi in Ankara
Turkey's UN envoy demands immediate cease-fire in Idlib
Turkey's UN envoy demanded an "immediate and complete" cease-fire to halt all military operations in northwestern Syria's Idlib province on Tuesday."We invite the international community to vocally and actively support our efforts to this end," Feridun Sinirlioğlu told the Security Council during a session on the province.The call comes as Russia, Iran and the Assad regime increase military operations in Idlib amid fears of a humanitarian catastrophe there.Moderate opposition in Syria's Idlib braces for attackSince the beginning of September, at least 30 civilians have been killed in Idlib and Hama, and dozens injured, by airstrikes and attacks by the regime and Russian warplanes, according to the White Helmets civil defense agency.The UN warned Monday at least 30,000 residents in Idlib have been displaced in the first nine days of this month amid a Russian and regime air campaign there.Sinirlioğlu warned "an all-out military operation would result in a major humanitarian catastrophe. Such an operation would trigger a massive wave of refugees and tremendous security risks for Turkey, the rest of Europe and beyond."Let’s stop the civil war in Syria’s Idlib: Turkish FM"With all our generosity, we have gone to extraordinary lengths to alleviate suffering of the Syrian people, hosting some 3.5 million refugees, more than any other country in the world. But let us face it: we have exceeded long ago the limits of our capacity," he said.Last week, the UN warned an offensive on Idlib would likely lead to the “worst humanitarian catastrophe of the 21st century.”UN voices concern over escalating tension in NW SyriaIran seeks to avert disaster in Syria's Idlib: Iranian senior official
Let’s stop the civil war in Syria’s Idlib: Turkish FM
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu on Tuesday called on international forces to cooperate in Syria’s Idlib.“Our offer still stands. Let's stop the civil war in Idlib. Let's work together to eliminate terrorist groups," he said during a joint news conference with his Romanian and Polish counterparts in Bucharest, capital of RomaniaUnderscoring the necessity of preventing civilian casualties, he further called on Russia, Iran, the U.S., France and the U.K. as well as all other partners and actors in Syria to work together and find peaceful solution."I call on everybody to raise their voice and also stand against the aggression of regime in Syria and to find a peaceful solution," he added.Damascus, backed by Russia and Iran, has been preparing a major assault to recover Idlib and adjacent areas of northwest Syria from the opposition.About 2.9 million people live in the opposition-held area, which comprises most of Idlib province and adjacent small parts of Latakia, Hama and Aleppo provinces. Around half of them are already displaced from other parts of Syria.UN, Turkey, Iran, Russia to talk on Syrian constitutionTurkey welcomes half of the world’s Syrian refugeesTurkey tells 50,000 FSA fighters to be ready for deployment as tensions rise in IdlibArab media highlights Erdoğan’s efforts for IdlibTurkey aims to stop anticipated airstrikes in Syria's Idlib: FM