Turkish police have identified one of the suicide attackers in the bombing at Istanbul Atatürk International Airport that killed at least 41 people on Tuesday evening.
Osman Vadinov, a Russian citizen from Chechnya, was the first terrorist who blew himself up after opening fire with a Kalashnikov at the entrance of the airport.
Police said there were eight terrorists involved in the airport attack. Three of them were killed on the spot, one was detained and four others are being sought. The terrorists killed were Dagestan, Kirghiztan and Uzbekistan nationals.
Ahmet Chatayev, a Chechen terrorist, is thought to be the planner of the attack. Chatayev had been working for Dokko Umarov, founder of the Chechen Islamic Emirates. He joined Daesh in 2013 after the death of Umarov.
According to intelligence reports the terrorists prepared the attack in a rental house in Horhor Street of Istanbul's Aksaray neighborhood of Fatih district.
The three terrorists entered Turkey on May 25 and rented an apartment on a street near the Historia shopping mall.
Police found out from surveillance camera footage that the terrorists took a taxi from the shopping mall to reach the airport on the day of the attack.
A terrorist with a black coat drew the attention of a police officer, who asked him for his identity card . The terrorist opened fire on police officer Ahmet Berker. Police then opened fire on the terrorists, while one of them blew himself up and the others started firing with Kalashnikovs.
Police found two Kalashnikovs, two guns and improvised bombs at the scene.
Turkey declare day of mourning after airport attack
The Turkish government has declared a national day of mourning for dozens of people killed when suicide bombers struck Istanbul's Ataturk International Airport late Tuesday. The death toll from Tuesday's attack at the main airport of the city has risen to 41, the governor's office said in its statement, which put the number of injured at 239. Ten of the casualties were foreign nationals, three of whom had dual citizenship. About 109 of the 239 injured have been discharged from the hospitals where they received treatment. Former PM Ahmet Davutoğlu declared a three-day mourning period for a total of 100 people killed in an attack which struck the main train station in the Turkish capital, Ankara, on 10 October 2015. On 13 May 2014, Turkey also declared a three-day mourning period to honor the miners killed in Soma, in the country's worst-ever mine disaster which claimed more than 300 lives.
Ten foreigners among 41 killed in Istanbul Airport attack
The death toll of the Istanbul airport attack has risen to 41, while the injured toll stands at 239, Istanbul Governor's office said on Wednesday. "It was determined that 41 people lost their lives. Thirty- sevenof those killed have been identified, 10 of them foreign nationals, while 3 were found to be dual citizens," the statement said. It said that five Saudis, 2 Iraqis, 1 Iranian and 1 Ukrainian citizen were among the dead. Among the wounded, 109 were treated and released from hospitals, the statement read. Turkey's largest airport was devastated on Tuesday evening when a group of terrorists opened fire and blew themselves up in three separate attacks at the entrance, exit and the parking lot of Atatürk airport's international terminal.Earlier, Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said Wednesday that three suicide bombers were also killed in the attack at Istanbul's Ataturk International Airport Tuesday night. According to Yıldırım, airport operations resumed Wednesday morning. “Our airport has been reopened to flights as of 2:20 am [2320GMT] and air traffic has returned to normal," he said. The prime minister added that police investigations into the incident were ongoing. Putin expresses condolences to Turkey after Istanbul Airport Attack 36 killed, 147 injured in triple suicide bombing at Istanbul airport Erdoğan strongly condemns Istanbul terror attack
Terrorists may be foreigners: Chief Public Prosecution
Chief Public Prosecution has started an investigation over the triple suicide bombing that hit Istanbul's Atatürk Airport on June 28, killing at least 41 people and wounding dozens more. The suicide bombers have not been identified, yet some initial findings indicate they may be foreign nationals, according to information received from Bakırköy Chief Public Prosecution. The prosecution sources also disclosed that the upper bodies of the suicide bombers were completely disfigured, which will make identification harder. In the investigation, the authorities will examine airport records to find out if the attackers made any discoveries before the incident. At least 41 people were killed and 239 others injured after suicide bombings and gunfire struck Istanbul's international Ataturk airport late Tuesday. The reports, citing the Justice Ministry's statement, said that three assailants opened fire on police and civilians near an entry point to the international terminal and blew themselves up after police fired on them. Istanbul governor Vasip Şahin said bombers struck different points of the airport. Reports said one of the assailants detonated himself at the arrival terminal, while another detonated himself at the departure terminal. The third bomber blew himself up at the entrance of the VIP hall.
43 killed, 239 injured in triple suicide bombing at Istanbul airport
At least 43 people were killed and 239 others injured after suicide bombings and gunfire rocked Istanbul's international Ataturk airport late Tuesday. The reports, citing the Justice Ministry's statement, said that three assailants opened fire on police and civilians near an entry point to the international terminal and blew themselves up after police fired on them. Istanbul governor Vasip Şahin said bombers struck different points of the airport. Reports said one of the assailants detonated himself at the arrival terminal while the other one detonated himself at the departure terminal. The third bomber blew himself up at the entrance of VIP hall. Around 50 ambulances rushed to scene within 5 minutes after the incident. A number of fire trucks were also sent to the scene. Security was stepped up in and around the airport. Bomb disposal units and special operations forces were sent to the scene to prevent any further unrest. Flights from and to Ataturk airport, suspended due to security concerns, were due to resume at 8 am on Wednesday in a coordinated way, officials said. A crisis desk was immediately set up at the interior minister's office. Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım was briefed by Interior Minister Efkan Ala. He left for Istanbul with key government officials to assess investigation at the airport. In Istanbul, the PM said early signs suggested Daesh terrorist organization was behind the assault. He also said the casualties included foreigners but gave no further details. An initial report claimed terrorists prepared for the attack at the international flights area after travelling to Istanbul from abroad by plane but did not tell which country they left from. It is still unknow how they brought explosives and Kalashnikovs to the airport. Only minutes after the explosions, four assailants were said to have left the airport with their guns. Special operation forces reportedly seized them at a point, called Havuzlu intersection, a few kilometers from the airport. Istanbul, a major tourism hub which is home to around 20 million people, has been struck by a string of bomb attacks in recent months including a suicide bombing in Istanbul's main shopping street. Since mid-January, Turkey's border towns and provinces close to the border with Syria have been targeted by Daesh rockets attacks, most significantly Kilis. A total of 21 people, including Syrians sheltering in Turkey, have been killed and more than 70 others wounded in these attacks. Turkish howitzer fire and nine coalition neutralized dozens of Daesh terrorists as they were preparing to strike Turkey with Katyusha rockets and mortars from northern Syria. Daesh drew the world's attention two years ago, when it captured large swathes of territory in Iraq and Syria. In June 2014, the extremist group formally declared the establishment of a caliphate. In February 2015, US officials warned that Daesh had gained a significant power which enabled it to muster somewhere in the range between 20,000 or 30,000 troops in Iraq or Syria.Intelligence officials warned that Daesh was training at least 500 terrorists in the conflict zones in order to carry out a string of 9/11-type attacks. Most of Daesh terrorists reportedly travelled to Italy via Libya in September and October in 2015. Ankara has meanwhile conducted a sweeping operation against the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) following the collapse of a ceasefire. Since then, hundreds of members of the Turkish security forces have since been slain in PKK attacks.